Book Group: Mindsight by Daniel Siegel

Mindsight: Introduction and Chapter 1 Discussion

Administrator

by Administrator

June 23, 2022 06:56 PM

This discussion thread is for conversation related to the introduction and first chapter of Mindsight and Dan Siegel.

Write about whatever content grabs your attention, and here are a couple of prompts if it helpful to get your mind started:

1. What is your understanding of what "Mindsight" is after reading the beginning of the book?

2. What do you think about the connection between attachment and the development of mindsight? What personal experiences do you have that illustrate this?

3. Explain what a "me-map" "you-map" and "we-map" is. How do those apply in a bodymindspirit practice?

by Trisha Schmalhofer

July 16, 2022 01:50 PM

The idea of mindsight as the "sea inside" is appealing to me. I see everything as water- waves, ebbs, flow, currents- inside and outside. I have done a lot of practice and training for personal growth to engage "the observer" to have a neutral view of my process, feelings, thoughts. He talks about this concept in the introduction as "focused attention that allows us to see our inner workings of our own mind". In chapter 1, when we get introduced to Barbara and her family, we understand why Leanne was showed a reponse to the video of she and her mom interacting at the birthday party. He explaiens this vital connection that was happening was like two humans feeling felt by each other. I see it as our "observers" are observing each other and the interaction between the two and the feelings it is evoking. It causes me to think of mirror neurons and this need to be seen by another is so potent. 

The triangle of well being is also an interesting concept that i am looking forward to working with more. Also the heart/brain connection from a science standpoint as opposed to a spiritual one is an interest.

by Leah Mahadeo

July 17, 2022 01:34 PM

I too Trisha like the idea and words of "sea inside" as I'm always drawn to ocean, water, and tides.  This resonates deeply with me.  :)